I often tell clients that I wish I could make this work sound more complicated. After all, they’ve brought me in to talk to their team about a campaign that will be vital to the organization’s future. Surely I must have complicated graphs and algorithms to make it all work? When it comes right down to it though, fundraising tactics are really quite simple.
- Develop a compelling case for support that shows community impact.
- Share your vision with enthusiasm.
- Serve up bold and audacious goals that are viral.
- Identify your Top 20 and Next 30 prospects, then get to know them.
- Don’t speed date.
- Remember your timeline is not the donor’s crisis.
- Always ask permission to ask for the gift.
- Thank, thank and thank again.
Difficult? No. Complicated? No.
It’s simple… but certainly not easy!
In fact, that’s a fundraising axiom that I am reminded of over and over again as I work on campaigns of all types and sizes. The work we need to do to achieve our goals doesn’t require heroic efforts, rather consistent, thoughtful actions that build relationships, communicate need and paint an inspiring vision of the future.